Sunday, December 12, 2021

Life Imitating Art As I Know It.

I've been a member of three major cover bands over the past 20 years, starting almost as soon as I landed in the Pioneer Valley.

Trying to survive as a full time musician was very difficult. Everybody I knew had a job on the side to make ends meet, and I was no different. I soon came to the conclusion that I simply could no longer balance the two, and would have to resort to new measures. I could have etched out an existence playing solo acoustic gigs, but I was brand new to the area and I wasn't very interested in playing small bars all by myself as background music. Plus I wanted to network, and get to know more of the players in the area, so I could become part of this new local music scene. I went to many shows, and started to make some connections, but it was slow going. I saw an ad in the local music and arts publication for a Lead Singer in an '80s cover band that leaned toward REM.


 The next 15 years of my life were booked solid.

Once that band finished its impressive run, I had to find a new project to keep things going as planned. I had to pick up another part time job, and was playing in a few smaller groups, as well as subbing for a full time band with a horn section.



Brass Attack of Springfield have been a local fixture for 25 years, and we became fast friends, for the past 6 years, I've been a part time member of the group, be it vocals or guitar, or even bass! Playing the bass with my friends Mambo Sons, got my chops to the point where I was competing at a high enough level to get the attention of another full time band that has been around for over 35 years.


The Savage Brothers Band needed a singing bass player, after the previous member moved away following his own 15 year run at the position. This being a job I was already very familiar with, I fit right in, and the task of becoming a part of the local music scene had now expanded to a regional scene for me. Things were looking really good.


Then Covid hit, and I found myself without employment for over a year, like many other people who had to struggle to get by, and by no means is the struggle over. There's always some challenge down the road, as there have been several for me. Losing both my parents and facing the end of a long marriage in between their passing had a dramatic change in my life. I became a person more concerned with being happy, and not as driven by visions of big success. I was at a level of modest success in my field as far as I was concerned. Should opportunity come knocking for me to take my career to a higher level, I felt like I was more than up to the challenge, but as I started to work again, it became clear to me that I  felt very much at home with being a part of the group of friends and musicians here in the Valley, and if I was meant to stay where I have for another 20 years, then that's going to be just fine with me. 









No comments: