Saturday, June 20, 2020

The Long Sunsets



The long lingering days in June are sometimes truly wonderful. Mosquitos are not plentiful this year, because of dry weather and cold nights. I was able to room around outside and look at the sunset that spread out along the sky above. With only the sound of the birds, and the faint hum of the highway in the distance. I gazed at the surrounding trees and the beautiful colors. 
How did I get here?




Life's twists and turns took me on quite an adventure, and now I'm in a place very different, but vaguely reminiscent of my childhood memories living in suburban CT. I was two blocks away from a park that offered views like this, and I would walk around every day after supper in the summertime, and watch the sunsets. Memories that were made up of my Mom doing her gardening outside, and my father watching golf on TV while enjoying a cocktail in his favorite chair. My brothers were off doing their own thing, and I wasn't up to playing team sports in the summer, so I was free to roam around. Until the sky grew dark and it was time to come in.

So here I am, around the same age as my parents back then, roaming around the backyard, doing some gardening, maybe enjoying a beer... and they probably have golf on TV, as opposed to other sports being shut down at the moment. I was a happy person back then, but I was looking forward to being an adult and making my own life for myself, and being happy doing it. 


                          


Despite things being so upside down in the world, I can honestly say I may have found the happy life I remember and was looking for. 

At least I'm looking in the right direction.

No comments: