Monday, September 11, 2023

Shipping Up To Boston (and Cambridge)

 Twice in one week, I made a visit to Boston, which I haven't done in probably 30 years.


The first visit was to see Duran Duran at the Garden. My girlfriend was/is a big fan, and we both performed a short set of their greatest hits a few years back for a benefit show, so I was already reaquainted with the music. I was very impressed with the band. Simon LeBon sounded great on vocals and the bass of John Taylor was way up in the mix! The light and stage show was beyond vivid. It was a trip back to the '80s. Back when I first started coming here.





We stayed overnight at the Porter Square Hotel in nearby Cambridge. Right next door to a club I played dozens of times in the '90s.







Had dinner at Asmara in Central Square. A place I had not been to in about 30 years, and right across the street from another club I played at dozens of times.




A few days later, I was in nearby Newton to sing and play the Blues with some old friends I used to play with at The Cantab Lounge (and other small venues)


Having lived in these areas long ago, it is always fun to come back, but I don't miss the traffic, or the roads. The nearly 2 hour drive is one I've become accustomed to, and leaves me alone with my thoughts of years gone by. Here I still am in Massachusetts (although now in the western part of the State) playing music for a living just like I did over 30 years ago.



No comments: