Monday, April 12, 2021

Shots Fired!

People are against a lot of things these days: The Earth is flat, we've never been on the Moon, the Election was a fraud, the COVID thing is a hoax, the Vaccine has a microchip, etc. etc. etc. If any of those things happen to be your opinion? We probably won't see eye to eye on very much, and it might be best to limit any conversation to things like Guitars, Hiking... and Wallace Stegner.

Since this is my page, I can let the public know about some opinions I have regarding the Pandemic, COVID-19, and the vaccine (which I receieved the first shot of just other day, and feel fine right now).

I have a close associate who got sick with COVID last Fall, and I had to get tested. Fortunately, my results were negative, and the tracing ultimately left me out of being at risk, but not after some anxious moments. I've heard people downplay getting sick with it, and equating it to just having a mild case of the Flu. 

One thing I have seen from the experience of seeing my parents having had various cases of Influenza over the years, was they never came back to being as strong as before they got sick. Also, they became less resistant to getting sick in the future, the recovery time took longer, and more serious infections were common. Eventually, my mom passed away from COPD and my father became seriously frail after a bad case of the Flu hit his nursing home, leaving him confined to a wheelchair. 

He passed away just as COVID started hitting our country last year. A year later, and we still haven't buried his ashes. 

When SARS caused a brief scare about 17 years ago, I developed a serious upper respiratory infection, resulting in a severe sinus condition that required a regimen of strong antibiotics, which I never want to experience ever again. In the years since, I haven't been sick too many times, but when it has, much like my folks, I didn't feel quite as strong as before. I don't consider myself to be an active person, but I do enough to stay relatively fit. I've put on 10 pounds like many other people in the past year, and hope to work that off this Summer when things start to open up even more around here, and the weather continues to improve. 

But the thing I want to stress, is I don't want to get sick with ANY kind of flu, which is why I got the other Flu shot when it was available last year, so I could limit even more chances of getting sick. I have friends who lost friends to COVID and family members to it as well, and I know their opinion is that the threat is very real. 

Their pain is not a hoax.

In the social media world, posting about getting the vaccine invites all kinds of negative opinions. Running from mild paranoia, to toxic cynicism, to conspiracy theory craziness. None of it is contructive to me, and is downright hurtful, because if my parents had gotten more flu shots, noticed when they were sick, and did more to take care of themselves when they were sick, they might still be around for each other, and their loving families who now painfully miss them. So I'm going to try and take care of myself, so I can be around for the people I love, and this is part of that process. 

Anybody else has a problem with me doing that, can keep it to themselves... unless they want to start their own blog of course. 


Namaste.  

No comments: