Friday, July 31, 2020

Further On Up The Road





Long ago, I had settled into The Valley with hopes of putting some roots down, and I mostly succeeded. I found a tribe of musicians and artists I admired, and wanted to be a part of the scene that was still vibrant in town. Rather than continue renting, I was looking at houses to buy, but nothing fit the price range. A small cottage in need of repair showed up, and I reluctantly bought it, with the realization that I had a lot of work cut out for me.

Over the next 15 years, I had one roof replaced, then I replaced two other sections on my own.

(I knew nothing about home repairs!)

Winter storms were often brutal, as I would have to climb up on the roof and rake snow from the upper levels of the house, then shovel them away from the driveway. I was starting to tire of the seasonal grind, and wondered how much longer I could last with the upkeep. 

The last three winters, I had the place on the market with no takers and I was getting despondent over the situation. Finally, a buyer came forward and was enamored with the place. However, COVID 19 shut down everything, and I could not close the sale. No longer living there any more, I only stopped by to make sure the pipes didn't freeze again. 

In the summer the process started up again, and by July, I suddenly became aware that I was actually going to be moving on. 17 years. Some good, Some terrible. Over the last several years, I lost my mom, the family home, my marriage and my dad. The last thing to go before completely starting over, was just a piece of property I no longer wanted part of.

It took a few years of living alone to rediscover my true spirit, and what it was I wanted in life out of myself. Everything I remember about the place was gone, and it no longer seemed like home. One last time, I drove away and did not look back.

Where I live now is Further on up the Road.



No comments: